As part of your course, you may have to spend some of the academic year at a university outside of the European Union.
In order to register at the university there, you may need to fulfil certain health requirements. As soon as you receive your university medical form(s) we advise all student to start the following programme immediately to ensure completion in time for registration at your overseas university.
(If you are already abroad on placement, then there is no action required. This information is for pre-departure to study at your overseas university)
These vary depending on which country and university you will be studying at. You may need some/all of the following;
- Immunisation update: An up to date immunisation certificate, especially proof that you have immunity against measles, mumps and rubella (usually 2x MMR vaccines)
- Medical examination: Depending on the information required on your university's form, you may need a full medical with examination or a medical report which may be able to be done from your notes we have on record for you
- Tuberculosis (TB) screening: Some universities will require proof that you do not have TB and may require you to have a chest x-ray
What to do now
- If you have received your medical form from your chosen university, check the requirements carefully
- If you need any of the aforementioned, come to the medical centre with your forms (printed) and method of payment (cash or debit/credit card)
- The receptionist will then be able to book the appointments you require
List of Charges 2019
Attendance for evaluation of TB requirements, analysis of medical records, immunisation update and completion certificate. Cost will vary depending on which country you are going to and the requirements stipulated on the medical form.
|Vaccine||No. of vaccines||Cost|
|MMR ||Measles, Mumps and Rubella ||Course of 2 vaccines ||Free|
|Revaxis||Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polio ||Single vaccine||Free|
|Meningitis ||ACW&Y||Single vaccine||Free|
|Hepatitis B* ||-||Course of 3 vaccines||£35 per dose|
*There is a global shortage of Hepatitis B vaccine, expected to last until early 2020 therefore this is currently unavailable
Depending on the information required on your form, you may need a full medical with examination, or a medical report which may be able to be done form your medical record without you requiring to attend to an appointment.
Tuberculosis (TB) Screening
Depending on the type of test required, the cost will vary and fees may be payable direct to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital if a chest x-ray is required (current cost for a chest x-ray is £85).
Cost: Price on application
- Meeting the requirements of your overseas university in time is YOUR responsibility
- It can take between 2-3 weeks for completion of all documentation, depending on what your university requirements are
- As provision of these services is not part of the NHS, they have to be paid for by the individual and in mostly in advance
- If you do not attend your booked appointment(s), there is no refund and it may be several weeks before another appointment is available for which a second fee will be charged
- Fees are subject to change and may vary without notice
- All fees must be paid for at time of booking
- If you are not registered with a doctor at the UEA Medical Centre, we are unable to see you for this. You will need to make arrangements with your own doctor, taking all paperwork with you