This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


May-17: 341 people failed to attend their GP/nurse appointment!  This is equal to 56 hours of wasted appointments!  

With increased demand for GP and nursing services and very little extra funding to facilitate this rise, reducing the DNA (did not attend) rate could make a significant difference to appointment availability.  PLEASE...if you cannot make your appointment, let us know ASAP so we can offer it to someone else.

Registering for Medical Care Whilst at University

Important Information for New Students

In order to receive health care whilst at university, you need to register with us.

It is a UEA regulation that every full-time student who is here for 6 months or more (and any student living in university accommodation for at least that period) is required to register with the University Medical Service (UMS) or with a local General Practitioner (GP).  If you opt to register with a GP practice other than with UMS, you must inform us of the name of your doctor's surgery.  

Registration with a GP in the Norwich area does not preclude you from consulting your family GP (or indeed any other GP) during vacations or while away from university (although when you do this a 'Temporary Resident' form will have to be completed on these occasions).  Click on Temporary Residents tab above for further information.

Registration with a doctor usually takes place during the first 4 weeks of the Autumn Semester.  Students who start their courses at other times in the year, can register on any weekday from 09:00-17:00 hours.

Before you arrive at University

Please make sure you have completed the required documents to register at the medical centre as you will be unable to register without them.  Click on What to Bring With You tab.  Do not send these in the post or via email - bring them with you when you come to register at the medical centre.

Healthcare Students

Students who will be joining the School of Medicine, Health Policy and Practice, the School of Allied Health Professions and the School of Nursing and Midwifery will already have been told of any pre-entry health checks and of the immunisation requirements needed for clinical placement.  Click here for further information. 

Education Students

Students entering in courses of Initial Teacher Training in the School of Education and Lifelong Learning will also have had to complete a health declaration as part of the entry process.  Click here for further information.  

If you have not received this information please contact your UEA School of Studies immediately. 

Any information given to the UMS will be treated in strict medical confidence and will not be divulged to anyone without your consent.
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website